Sunday, March 02, 2008

Arrival. . .

After 14 hours on a plane from Vancouver to Hong Kong and 6 hours from Hong Kong to Delhi I arrive to honking taxis and buses in the middle of the night. The roads are awake on the way to the bus station. On the way there our bus driver honks at every station as well as every large vehicle with swirling red and green letters at the back urging drivers to "Please honk". Each vehicle seems to have its signature tune. The bus doors open and close, vendors hop on and off, the driver turns up the Hindi music at the helm with white flower chain framing a picture of a famous figure. On the way, seas of autorickshaws and bus vie for the road, street side food stalls and outdoor barbar shop reminds me of China.

5.5 hours later, we arrive in the middle of the morning at Chandigarh. The roads are clean with beautiful green street islands which private vehicles, buses, taxis, autorickshaws and bicycles share. At the bus station, rickshaw and autorickshaw drivers follow us. Daksh, who came to pick me up, shakes his head. "Neyhi," I learn to say. I'm sure the first of many to come.

I will be moving to a village for the most of my stay where I will be based for my work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's quite the trip! Too bad you didn't take the train, then it would be "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" :P

Large swirling letters on the backs of vehicles? Wow, it must be very crowded to require people to honk all the time.

I've always wanted large letters, but that was to give the driver tailgating me a few words of my own ;)

Maybe you can learn how Chandigarh keeps their streets so clean and bring that technology home with you. Our streets are far from clean, but I'm sure it is not from a lack of effort by the street cleaning machines.

Please keep blogging, it's nice to know what is happening over there!

Looking forward to your next entry...

Robert